Wednesday, September 9, 2009

RESOURCES


In this initial stage, one of my primary jobs is determining the best sources of credible information about Pell. His archives at the University of Rhode Island Library are an obvious major source, and I spent part of yesterday there beginning to familiarize myself with the collection, which occupies 2,500 linear feet of documents, photographs, movies, etc. While at URI, I interviewed a longtime friend of Pell, former governor Bruce Sundlun.
Today, I lunched with former Providence Journal political reporter and columnist M. Charles Bakst, pictured here, a friend for many years and without doubt one of the best political writers ever. We dined outside on providence's Federal Hill at Venda Ravioli, where Charlie had the steamed mussels and baked trout, and I had the Petto di Pollo, with chocolate gelato, all scrumptiously prepared (those who know Charlie, or his columns, will understand the importance of mentioning the food). Charlie, as expected, was great -- good insights and many leads.
This being Rhode Island, we of course ran into other people we knew: Hasbro Chairman Al Verrecchia and his wife, Gerrie (Al was one of the principal characters in my book about the toy industry TOY WARS) and Fr. Marcel Taillon, one of the wonderful priests I met while writing AN AMERICAN BISHOP, about Bishop Thomas Tobin of Providence.

No comments:

Post a Comment