Monday, September 28, 2009

TICONDEROGA




A wealth of information awaited me during a weekend visit to Fort Ticonderoga, which has been in Pell family ownership since 1820, when Claiborne's great-great grandfather William Ferris Pell bought it. My host was Robert Pell-deChame, whose knowledge of Pelliana is deep. I learned a lot, and found a great ongoing resource not only in Robert, but with the Thompson-Pell Research Center. Pictured here are Robert with a fort canon donated by John Slocum, husband of the late Eileen Slocum, subject of my Newport documentary film, BEHIND THE HEDGEROW; the front of the Pavillion, the 1820s manor built by William Ferris Pell, Lake Champlain is to the left; and Robert being interviewed by me near the Pavillion. Photographs by Yolanda Gabrielle, who made the trip with me.

1 comment:

  1. Robert is an excellent guide for Pell family history especially in relation to Fort Ticonderoga! I'm a former staff member and admire Robert's deep knowledge and love of his family's history. I'm also deeply interested in the Pell family after spending so much time with them. Looking forward to your book.

    Lisa Simpson Lutts

    ReplyDelete