Wednesday, December 16, 2009

JOE BIDEN ON THE PHONE


I interviewed the Vice President this Tuesday to get his insights into Claiborne Pell. Biden eulogized Pell at his funeral Jan. 5, but I had hoped for more detail -- and got it, during and interview lasting almost half an hour, after which he told me he was late for a meeting at the Oval Office and had to go. I have long admired Biden and was honored to get the interview -- and amused by his many stories.
Of my many interviews over three decades in journalism, this one has to rank near the top -- up there with Stephen King, Ted Kennedy, Steven Spielberg and the late U.S. House Speaker Tip O'Neill.
This is a photo of Biden greeting Nuala Pell on Jan. 5, 2009, Trinity Church, Newport -- Pell's funeral.
Photo courtesy Bob Breidenbach, Providence Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment